Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ice Cream Cake

Here is a picture of the ice cream cake I made Kid # 5 for her birthday on Friday.


I have made several of these and have lost my orginal recipe so I am just gonna try to explain how I made it and then if anyone has questions feel free to ask them in the comments :)

First I went to Walmart and bought the 2 quart ( I think that is what they are) boxes of Great Value ice cream.  I bought one each of chocolate and vanilla.  I also bought one package of Great Value sandwich cookies.  The ones like Oreos.

Next I took a spring form pan, you know like you use for cheese cake, and used half the chocolate ice cream to put a layer on the bottom ( see picture above).  You have to let the ice cream soften so it can be spread but not to soft.  I did this on Thursday morning and then stuck the pan in the freezer 
with a plate sitting under it.

Thursday after noon I made this Chocolate Syrup .  While it was cooling I put my chocolate sandwich cookies through the food processer until crumbly then dumped them in a bowl and set aside until the chocolate syrup was cool.

When the chocolate syrup was room temperature I mixed about half of it into the sandwich cookies crumbs until the crumbs are well coated.  I then spread that on top of the chocolate ice cream and put it back in the freezer.

Friday morning I added half the box of vanilla ice cream on top of the cookie/syrup mixture and again put it back in the freezer.  Friday afternoon I drizzled a small amount of chocolate syrup over the top of the vanilla ice cream and spread it around a little, use your own judgement here.  Again back into the freezer until we were ready to do the birthday celebrating.

In the past I have left off the chocolate syrup on the top and have done Cool Whip instead.   I have also done frosting and chocolate and caramel sauce drizzle. I have also added caramel sauce to the middle layer after using the sandwich cookie crumbs.  Lots of options to do here.....

We have 3 days left of school and then we will be on summer vacation.  I hope to be back to regular posting very soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment