Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Totaling The Numbers For August

Having a menu plan for the whole month of August went really well.  I liked it so much that I am just finishing up one for September.  I will be posting it soon :)  I did not use up all of the meals I had planned in August.  I just carried them over into this month. 

I did find that menu planning for a whole month did save us some money but not as much as I had hoped.  Our total for August was $294.86.  My budget before has always been around $400.  So this saved us about $100.  I am hoping as I do this more I will get better at it and save even more money. 

Now in my $294.86 that I spent for August, this included $45 worth of pet supplies which I should not have to buy for September.  It also included a good deal on coffee I stumbled upon.  The coffee should last us until the end of September I am hoping.  My budget also includes all paper product ( not that we use many) and toiletries for the month.  I could probably do better on those items if I got back into playing the "drug store game".    I will have to think on that some.

Anyway not a bad experiment and one I plan to continue for a while.  I'll keep you posted :)

2 comments:

  1. I think $100 a month saved on groceries is a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I did pretty well too :) At least now I know more of what to expect for September.

    ReplyDelete