Monday, January 30, 2012

Powdered Laundry Soap

 This post is for Diary of A School Nurse who has asked me if I had a recipe for homemade laundry soap :) I have posted here about my semi homemade laundry soap .  I have recently tried out another new recipe for the powdered version.  So far I like it and it works well.  It also uses the same ingredients that I use if I make the liquid/gel version.  I thought I would share the recipe.  Also you can now find all the items to make this in the laundry isle of my Walmart.  Although I am still unsure if that is the cheapest place to get the Washing Soda or not.  I need to check into that!

1 box - Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1 box - Borax
4 bars - Fels Naptha
4 cups - Oxyclean type product.  I use the Sun version of this.

I cut the Fels Napth bars into chunks and then run them threw my food processor.  I then mix all these items together in a big plastic laundry soap box I saved from forever ago.  When I make the liquid/gel version of laundry soap this is what I make it into and store it in also.  I then put some of the powdered version in a glass jar on my dryer.  I have a old tablespoon scoop I use in the jar.  Many people say you can use 1 TBSP per load but I usually use 2.  I don't know why but that just seem to work for me :)

I have also been asked about my dryer sheets which I shared about here.  I am on my third round of using this idea and they seem to work great.  The last old napkin I soaked in a fabric softener sample I had received in the mail.  So this batch of "dryer sheets" were actually free :)

3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU I am going to make laundry soap this weekend! You are so sweet to share... Perhaps I should share with a few select students?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! If you get any fabric softner samples in your office feel free to share with my kid lol :) She will think we are crazy though :) I am thinking that maybe you need to give a whole class on how to keep ones self clean. Clothes, body, teeth etc....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I could purchase a few loads of soap from you to see if I like it before I purchase all of the ingredients and make my own?? What do you think?
    Also I'm expecting a huge load of free feminine product samples late March and will be sure to send some home with kid #3!

    ReplyDelete