Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

I have been making different versions of homemade laundry soap for along time.  I use to make a liquid/gel type version that a wonderful lady by the name of Diane gave me the recipe for about 10 yrs ago.  I still make it sometimes but lately I have been making a slightly homemade version of a powered form.  This is easier for me since at this season of my life I am busy running kids around and do not always have alot of time.
I found this recipe for the powered form on a blog somewhere.  I do not remember whose it was so I can not give them credit.  If I find it again I will be sure to edit this post :)

Here is the semi homemade powered version I have been using:

Powdered Laundry Soap

1 cup Sun w/ bleach alternative powder laundry detergent ( bought this at Walmart and I just used regular Sun laundry detergent NOT the kids with bleach alternative in it)
1 cup Sun Oxygen Cleaner ( I found this at the Dollar General Store)
1 cup Borax ( I buy this at Walmart)
1 cup Super Washing Soda ( I can only find this at Schnucks in my area)

Mix all ingredients and put in a plastic container with a lid.  To use: 1/8 cup per load.

I love the powered version.  This is suppose to be a semi homemade cheaper version of Tide.  I have been using it for 6 months now with no problems.  I make up a double batch at a time and store it in a old ice cream tub.

Here is the liquid version that I have used in the past.  I used this version for a very long time.  I really loved it but it does take time to make and I just don't have alot of extra time right now so that is why I switched.

Liquid/Gel Laundry Soap

Grate 1 standard size bar 5.5 oz Fels Naptha Soap ( I buy mine at Kroger)  I have used both a cheese grater and a food processor to do this
Mix the grated soap with 4 cups hot water and cook over low heat stirring constantly until all the grated soap is dissolved. ( do not let come to a boil)
Pour into 5 gallon bucket and add 3 gallons of hot water straight from the tap. Stir to mix.
Then stir in 1 cup or more if you have hard water of Super Washing Soda ( I buy this at Schnucks). 
I then also at 1 cup Borax.  This is not in the original recipe my friend gave me but I have seen this in other similar recipes and it seems to help with my hard water.
Mix well.
Then let the mixture sit over night and set into a gel type substance.  Stir well before using.
For use:  use 3/4 to 1 cup depending on your needs.  I use about 1 cup.  I have heard this is safe for front loading machines although I do not have one.  This laundry soap does not suds up.  If you are big on suds then this is not the soap for you. 
I have found this works well and did well on stains too.

I am linking this post at http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2011/04/mostly-homemade-mondays.html

No comments:

Post a Comment