Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Creating a Summer Schedule

Today is the last full day of school for Kid # 5.  I really need to come up with a summer schedule for all of us so that I can keep my sanity and also make my husband happy.  Even though we ( the kids and I) are on summer break my husband is not and still must go to work 5 or 6 days a week.  He also works strange hours and so at times will be sleeping during the day.  This will require us to be somewhat quiet or out of the house on those days.  3 of the kids who are here, are teenagers.  As most of you know teenagers or at least a lot of them like to stay up late at night and sleep half the day.  Although, this does not really bother me, it does bother my husband.  So I feel that there is going to have to be some sort of compromise made in this area in order to keep the peace in our house for the summer.

I also need to come up with some sort of menu/schedule for breakfast, lunches and dinners.  I do not want to be cooking or cleaning up the kitchen all day long.  I also do not want to be heating the house up with the oven all summer either.  Last summer we purchased a toaster oven when our toaster died.  That was a great purchase!  We will be using that alot this summer in place of our oven.  That way the house doesn't get heated up but we can still have frozen pizza, corn dogs, chicken nuggets etc.  I also hope to have a baking day once or twice a month and do a big majority of it all in one day.  Again, so we don't heat the house up all the time.  I will then freeze and take out what we would need each week for breakfasts and snacks.

So far I have come up with this schedule as far as breakfasts go:

Monday - Bagels or English muffins, fruit
Tuesday - Yogurt, granola, or smoothies and fruit
Wednesday - scrambled eggs and toast or biscuits and fruit
Thursday - pancakes, waffles or french toast and fruit
Friday - muffins or some kind of sweet bread, or cinnamon roll and fruit
Saturday - coffee cake and fruit
Sunday - "Sunday Family Brunch"

As you can see I plan to serve fruit with every breakfast.  This is something new I am trying.  I think we could use a little more fresh fruit in our diets.  I also plan to serve more cut up fresh veggies with our lunches.  I am hoping to have a lunch plan similar to my breakfast plan finished soon.  Then continue on with our normal dinner menu planning every week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment