Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Taco Salad

We had this taco salad over the weekend with my husbands family.  Everyone ate several helpings of it and it was a huge hit with our family.  I decided to recreate it last night for our dinner and everyone seemed to enjoy it again especially since there was only enough left for two lunch's for my husband!

Brown 1lb ground beef and make taco meat as usual.  While that is cooking shred lettuce for a salad as you usually would and put in a bowl.  Add black beans or pinto beans drained.  I used black beans that I had cooked myself ( it is much cheaper to make black beans yourself and is not hard at all!  I just follow the package directions.  Once they cool I package them up in 2 cups portions and freeze in Ziploc bags.) and had frozen in the freezer and defrosted earlier in the day.  I then added, sliced black olives, diced canned tomatoes drained, cut up onion and shredded taco cheese.  I did not measure any of this I just used my best judgement on how much to add.   Then the comes the best part :)  I added enough FRENCH DRESSING to just cover the salad and mixed it all up.  I then added the taco meat once it was done and tortilla chips crumbs from my bag.  The french dressing is what made the taco salad so good.  I had never had one with dressing on it like that before!  I made my own french dressing, thanks to my sister who gave me my grandmothers recipe and it is super easy to make!

My estimated cost off this meal was less then $5.  I had all the ingredients already for the dressing!

Here is the recipe : 

Grandma's French Dressing
1 1/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 pinch red pepper

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon grated onion  ( I used a tablespoon of onion powder cause I was to lazy to grate onion)

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup oil   ( I used olive oil)

Mix until sugar is dissolved.

Makes one pint.

Grandma also suggest when storing it to add a whole clove of garlic. She makes it in a quart jar and shakes it. 

I made it in a bowl and used my stick blender and then add it to a jar after it was all blended!


2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super good and easy! I am all about the easy when it comes to cooking! You also can use Doritos chips instead of tortilla! Tortills is what I had so that is what I used!

    ReplyDelete