Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday Tip

Here is a pic of my Tuesday Tip:





This is my clothesline.  It is nothing fancy, just a retractable clothesline that we bought at Lowes.  I love it!  I use it all summer long.  Kid # 2 & 3 do their own laundry and Kid # 4 will be learning here soon also.  We have a rule that everything is hung on the clothesline or on the drying racks during the summer months except socks, underwear, jeans and towels.  So all shirts and tanks, and most of their shorts and pj's are hung up to dry. The things the kids are allowed to dry must be done at night after dark when it is cooler outside and it won't heat up the house so much.  Honestly my teenagers hate this rule but whatever lol they don't pay the bills.  So that is my easy Tuesday Tip. Use a clothesline and if you don't have one or have space for one get yourself a drying rack.  This really has helped lower my electric/gas bills and helps keep the house cooler too.

I am linking up to:


               
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Great frugal tip! I was just talking about putting up a new clothes line a couple of days ago. Ours is old and nasty. Cutting out the clothes dryer should really help with the electric bill! I am a new follower and would love for you to stop by my new blog http://aboutamom.com to say hi! ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Good job outta you making your kids hang their clothes. Maybe I should make that a rule here. I have been finding less and less time to go out and hang clothes. This just might be added to the chore list! I will send them here to write their thanks! LOL

    Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the retractable clothes lines are the way to go. Can't wait til my son is old enough to do this, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your great comments. Believe me when I say that my kids are not happy about having to use the clothesline at all. I recently told my daughter she could use the dryer but I was going to charge her $1 a load lol! She is 16 and decided she would rather keep her money

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa!
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I use about 5 drying racks...there is far too much pollen outside... I very rarely use our gas dryer, which is good because it saves on the wear and tear of the clothing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear I would get a letter from my HOA if I did this..

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  7. HS-if you can't use a clothes line you could always get a couple of drying racks. As you can see by the comment above you, Sharon uses 5 drying racks and does not use a clothes line. That actually makes me happy I have choosen to live in a area that does not have a HOA. I like to be able to do what I want in my own yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been air drying exclusively since early June. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but so far it has really worked. I use a combination of a drying rack, hanging clothes up on the shower rod and stretching the linens over a couple of folding chairs on the deck. I'm surprised at how will its worked out. Once winter hits, I'll have to use the dryer more, since I won't have the option of the outside drying on the deck, but for now, I'm really loving it!

    ReplyDelete